The Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZone) program helps small businesses in urban and rural communities gain preferential access to federal procurement opportunities. The federal government has a goal of awarding 3 percent of all dollars for federal prime contracts to HUBZone-certified small business concerns.
The SBA operates the program and:
- Determines which businesses are eligible to receive HUBZone contracts
- Maintains a listing of qualified HUBZone small businesses that federal agencies can use to locate vendors
- Adjudicates protests of eligibility to receive HUBZone contracts
- Reports to the Congress on the program’s impact on employment and investment in HUBZone areas
Program benefits for HUBZone-certified companies include:
- Competitive and sole source contracting
- 10 percent price evaluation preference in full and open contract competitions, as well as subcontracting opportunities
To qualify for the program, a business (except tribally owned concerns) must:
- Be a small business by SBA standards
- Be owned and controlled at least 51% by U.S. citizens, or a Community Development Corporation, an agricultural cooperative, or an Indian tribe
- Have a primary location within a “Historically Underutilized Business Zone,” which includes lands considered “Indian Country” and military facilities closed by the Base Realignment and Closure Act
- At least 35 percent of its employees must also reside in a HUBZone.
We can help you register for the HUBZone Program. We will:
- File your HUBZone Employment and Principal Requirement Eligibility Forms
- Submit identity verification paperwork, tax returns, and proof of citizenship
- Process business ownership verification paper/File applicable trust agreement(s)
- Submit validation of lease/rental agreement/deed of principal office location
- Submit copies of business utility bills
- Verify your paid and unpaid employees, and prove that at least 35 percent of your employees reside in a HUBZone
- Help maintain payroll records (which the SBA needs in order to verify you qualify for the program and remain qualified)
Please complete our enrollment form below if you are interested in starting the HUBZone registration process for your business.